Thursday, June 21, 2007

A well-deserved update...

Greetings folks...I know it's been a while, so I have popped up to let people know where I have landed, sort of.

I think I left off when I went to South x Southwest in March, where I had the luxury of a 5-night hotel stay after various stints in couch-surfing in NY and Michigan. Tried to sell the ol' boat, which was looking hopeful, but the folks bailed on me...a pretty depressing cashflow setback. Much has happened since then.

I spent some time in Florida helping my aunt who had knee replacement surgery, then bounced up to NYC and into the new apartment in Long Island City, Queens.

Truthfully, NYC has been kicking my ass, and this move has been very tough. As we speak, I am back in my Ann Arbor apartment, packing up my stuff (or procrastinating the packing of my stuff). I'm having a garage sale this weekend, which will most likely be a wrenching ordeal.

Not. Looking. Forward. To. That.

I share the place in LIC with two guys in their 20s, both of them great and interesting, yet somehow I feel quite unnerved by my circumstances there. I have had none of my belongings there, beyond some pots and pans and clothing...the emptying of my house in Ann Arbor, as well as the aforementioned non-boat sale, have been dangling over my head like the sword of Damacles. Thus, I find myself here, trying to keep up with my workload in NY but at the same time wrestling with the horror of packing and deciding what I can and can't take to the new place, which is most likely temporary (until next May or so). Then I need to find a place of my own to keep my own sanity.

I could list a few funny anecdotes about the ongoing drumbeat of lowering expectations in my standard of living in NYC (i.e.: my bedroom is next to an elevated 7 train which roars 24/7, I can't have my dog there so he is living with relatives, no decent grocery stores, my favorite restaurant trying to pass off tilapia as striped bass, etc.) but these amusing tales will have to wait until I shed my past life, which is still paralyzing me in my efforts to trade in the comfort of my old existence to one of vitality in my new life.

In short, change is a bitch, y'all.

For those of you I haven't contacted in a while, this situation is what is consuming me, I promise I haven't just been ignoring you...it's just hard to put on a pleasant face these days.

8 Comments:

Blogger anno said...

Maintaining homes in two places has got to be a trick, and having one foot in NYC and the other in Ann Arbor sounds like a painful stretch. Get through this garage sale, free yourself up to really live in NY, find some great restaurants (and write about them!), listen to interesting new groups, meet interesting & exciting new people, and before long you'll be regarding Ann Arbor as another petty, provincial place in the outback of the United States.

The rest of us will remind you about the Great Lakes and Zingerman's only occasionally. Promise.

1:55 PM  
Blogger wendyo said...

It's totally OK never to remind me of Zingerman's, ha-ha.

Great Lakes...sigh.

3:01 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Truly, you are braver than I. I'd be terrified to blaze the trail you're setting now. It's not a matter of maturity; more likely a sign that I'm getting old.

6:40 PM  
Blogger bonerici said...

update again! r u moved in now?

7:31 PM  
Blogger bonerici said...

oh, and

I HAS ALL UR PINE NUTS

I IS EATINGS THEM

11:53 AM  
Blogger bonerici said...

AND YOU CALL YOURSELF THE BLOGMOTHER! LIES!

4:09 PM  
Blogger bonerici said...

now the pine nuts are gone.

there are these trees I think they are yellowwood trees, and the nuts in them taste like peas. do you know what I'm talking about? It's part of the legume family.

also how do you harvest your own pine nuts. Just tear up a pine cone?

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lesson V.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home